VetsWork is an eleven month career development internship program for military veterans interested in the natural resources management, public lands, and environment sector. VetsWork participants are placed at local, state, and federal land management agencies such as the U.S. Forest Service where they provide project support while learning about various career paths.
VetsWork Is Many Things
- A career development program where participants learn new skills and build professional networks.
- A workforce development program where land management agencies have an active role in shaping its future workforce .
- A community and national service program (AmeriCorps) that engages veterans in civilian service to our public lands and natural resources.
- VetsWork participants receive a modest living stipend, an AmeriCorps education award and basic health coverage.
- Read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about VetsWork here.
Latest Field Notes
OPEN Service Positions
Service Positions by State
CLOSED – Gifford Pincho
How to Apply
Include the Following:
- Cover Letter
- Include one for each position you’re applying to (you can apply to more than one).
- If you are unfamiliar with cover letters, click here to learn more.
- Include your motivation for applying to the position(s)
- Copy of your DD 214
- Three professional references: Include their name, phone number, email, and relation to you.
Your application will not be considered without all of the required documents.
Email completed applications with documents to our
Meet Our Interns
Partners & Sponsors
As a partner of the program, your organization directly benefits from the support of a VetsWork intern on projects that you determine, such as volunteer coordination, trail maintenance, habitat restoration, special uses/permitting/surveying, education, and any other aspect of public lands / natural resources management. Additionally, you have the opportunity to train a potential new member of your workforce.
Partners are required to provide a cash match, have time to supervise/mentor the intern and be available for specific program-related training. It might sound like a lot, but our past partners would tell you that it’s worth it.
If you and/or your organization are interested in sponsoring a VetsWork intern, please contact us via the button below.